Sunday, February 03, 2008

Fired up and ready to go

The Obama campaign has become a perfect storm of things political and cultural, serious and hip. Here's two music videos making the rounds. The first one was put together by volunteers in a makeshift studio. It's based on a chant which was itself adapted from Obama's "One voice can change the world" speech. It was put on the internet about a week ago.

The second video appeared on the internet just one day ago. It is a celebrity effort though you have to be under 30 to recognize most (but not all) of the faces. This video renders a fairly complete portion of Obama's now famous "Yes We Can" speech. The words appear below the video clip.

It was a creed written into the founding documents that declared the destiny of a nation.

Yes we can.

It was whispered by slaves and abolitionists as they blazed a trail toward freedom.

Yes we can.

It was sung by immigrants as they struck out from distant shores and pioneers who pushed westward against an unforgiving wilderness.

Yes we can.

It was the call of workers who organized; women who reached for the ballots; a President who chose the moon as our new frontier; and a King who took us to the mountaintop and pointed the way to the Promised Land.

Yes we can to justice and equality.

Yes we can to opportunity and prosperity.

Yes we can heal this nation.

Yes we can repair this world.

Yes we can.

We know the battle ahead will be long, but always remember that no matter what obstacles stand in our way, nothing can stand in the way of the power of millions of voices calling for change.

We have been told we cannot do this by a chorus of cynics...they will only grow louder and more dissonant ........... We've been asked to pause for a reality check. We've been warned against offering the people of this nation false hope.

But in the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope.

Now the hopes of the little girl who goes to a crumbling school in Dillon are the same as the dreams of the boy who learns on the streets of LA; we will remember that there is something happening in America; that we are not as divided as our politics suggests; that we are one people; we are one nation; and together, we will begin the next great chapter in the American story with three words that will ring from coast to coast; from sea to shining sea --

Yes. We. Can.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chills I get when he speaks lead me to believe that I am not so jaded or cynical as I thought I was. I have hope. Yay! God, I hope we can!

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mister Cahill

I'm one of your student in France, in the Terminale LV2.

I miss you (I wonder this expression is a little too familiar to say it to a teacher, but, however, I really mean it), since you were probably the best english teacher I have ever had, not learning me English, but actually learning me to learn English by myself, and you showed us another way of teaching.

I used to read most of your articles at the beginning of the year, but I have not the time anymore. However, you seem be a real proponent of Obama, and I wished to ask your opinion about its chance of success. According to the results of the big Tuesday, he may be the democrate candidate, here, in France, we (infact, the people I know, who can't have a lot of information about this campaign) think he would have only a few chances to win the election, due to is blackness (we think that some americans would be afraid to vote for a black, I apologize if it seems racist or wrong, but that's the opinion we have (thanks Bush for it ...)).

I apologize for this long message which do not really report to the subject, but I liked to have your opinion in this campaign, since I can't access easily to this kind of information.

Hoping your whole family is going well, and apologing for all the mistakes I made,
Oliver

2:18 PM  
Blogger K said...

Oliver,
It's so great to hear from you! I'm touched that you've kept track of my blog. What are you studying now? I've posted an answer of sorts to your questions about Obama. Don't hesitate to get in touch with me if you have more questions or just want to say hello.
Take care,
Kevin

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Mister K,

Thank you very much to have answered my questions about Obama. If I have other questions about him, I'll say them later.

Now, I am in a "classe préparatoire scientifique" at Montaigne, in Bordeaux. It's a typical French system which means I study a lot Maths and Physic, and a little bit French and English, and I have no time for myself anymore, in order to try the contest of Great Engeneering Schools in 2 years. (by the way, Alizee is doing it to).

I don't think you know this system, but it is said to be very hard, it's supposed to be 2 years without social life. But I think it's fun (although it's sometimes actually very hard).

I have to work now :/, so, take care,

Oliver

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obama is a very good speaker ! i like the second song !

after the M.L Kink's "i have a dream" speech we have the Obama's "yes we can" speech.
the USA have a famous candidate and i hope he win the elections ! after G.W.Bush Jr it's better ! the USA can change if the white people who are racists change !

this morning i have an English test and the essay it's about Al Sharpon and Jena (imagine the speech) and i said the USA we can change with the volontary's black and white people.
i hope the USA can change !

10:53 AM  
Blogger K said...

Marie-alix,
It's great to hear from you! These are interesting times we're living in. I'm proud of Obama, and I'm grateful for someone like him to help bring to light another side of the American character.
take care and good luck with your essay!
Kevin

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home