Saturday, January 17, 2009

The key to Ennui

In school the other day, Tess was given a worksheet where she was asked to create drawings of things produced certain vowel sounds. For the long "e" sound she chose "ennui". I had no idea that she even knew that word, let alone what it means.






















Her picture strikes me as a rather apt rendering of the idea. It's fascinating to see how her experience in France still has the capacity to inform her imagination, notwithstanding her indifference to actually speaking the language. A pencil in her hand is like a key that unlocks things stashed away in her memory.
K

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work, Tess. I love the various perspectives used. Talented Tess!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Ohmygosh, I am so impressed--but not surprised--that Tess knows "ennui"!

I was much older when I learned it and I have a very vague sense that learning it had something to do with Beth's brother...like he taught it to me or used it around me and I looked it up or something. Weird.

I love Tess' word choices and drawings here.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home