Monday, April 20, 2009

Drinking up the profits

The kids got it in their heads that they'd make some money this past weekend selling lemonade. They began out in front of our house. We live on a quiet street to say the least. Pretty soon the kids became desperate and they began hailing down passing cars. People would slow down, concerned that something might be amiss, then size up the sales trap and speed away. Tess and Colm then asked me if they could go door to door. I spoke to them about location, location, location, and I suggested they go around the corner to a street corner where there was much more traffic. It worked like a charm. They spent almost the entire afternoon over there, coming home only to replenish the lemonade jug or the supply of paper cups. At the end of the day they reported sales to a policeman, a mailman, and a guy who paid in Canadian currency among others.

My own childhood memories include one afternoon when I set up a lemonade stand on the sidewalk in front of my house. I got robbed by a couple of older kids. I don't remember the details except that my dad got in his car and tracked the kids down. He pulled up to a house, told me to wait in the car and went inside. I don't know what happened in there. I'd like to say that I got my money back, but I don't remember that either. Maybe my father will read this and contribute his version. It's possible that I got the whole thing wrong.
K

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A milestone in every kid's life. Tim and I tried to sell our services as "Haunted House Investigators". Hm... no takers. Glad Tess and Colm had better luck! Love, ♥Erin

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home