Sunday, May 31, 2009

allintheioftheBholder

Beth and I took our kids to see a production of "Annie" at the Elgin Opera House last night. Delightful production and fun for the whole family. I particularly enjoyed the impish orphan children who spent every spare minute subverting authority. There was also some racy dance choreography featuring suggestively swaying bums and pelvic thrusts performed in pairs and trios. The villains were no account bums, especially the abusive, liquor swilling supervisor at the orphanage who was never more than a step or two away from her bottle even in full view of the little ones. My daughter, Tess, asked me why the woman so much medicine. I told her it to wait and see. Tess looked at me rather doubtfully but didn't press the issue. Had she followed up though, I was ready with the closing argument: don't worry about her, she's going to jail.

Biggest laugh line that evening was when Warbucks, who has just secured FDR's agreement to come for dinner, asks his assistant to find out what Democrats like to eat.

I went back to congratulate the cast afterwards and the man playing Warbucks, someone who had been a visible supporter of the effort to ban Picasso, saw me. Savoring the glory of the moment, as he should have been, he seemed surprised, then pleased to see me. I congratulated him on a good show.
"I still love you," he said.

I couldn't help but feel like he meant, "in spite of what you did."
"Why wouldn't you still love me?" I said smiling back at him.
That's when it hit me. The nicest among them are the ones who have forgiven me and who want me know that they're ready to put it behind us.

It's awkward, seeing as how I don't wish to be forgiven. I gave him a hug anyway.

K

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We saw Annie to and loved it but were a little perplexed by the constant alcohol drinking around kids, a few sexual innuendos and were motified at how those adorable children were treated!

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Madison said...

One constant in my young life has always been the belief that "if you don't tell me what I've supposedly done wrong, or that I've hurt you, I don't know about it. If I don't know, I can't feel bad. If I don't know, I can't apologize and 'make it better.'"

Some people are still angry at me about the Picasso affair. I know about it. And I don't care. I don't want to apologize, and I certainly don't feel bad. I stood by something that I was passionate about, and believed in, (as did we all) and that's not something that should be pushed down the laundry shoot.

Know what I mean Vern?

8:50 PM  
Blogger K said...

You've got such a great voice, Madi...I only have one question. who's Vern?
K

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Madison said...

"Know what I mean Vern" is a saying, I have no idea who Vern is. It's kind of like "What you talkin about, Willis?" except I recently learned Willis is a real person from a TV show. So who knows, maybe Vern is real person? You're not him, in any case.

...because that wasn't confusing at all.

8:39 PM  
Blogger KNScott said...

Who is/was Vern? Not from a TV show, but an unseen character in TV commercials featuring the character Ernest, played by the late character actor Jim Varney -- see Wikipedia article

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home