Thursday, May 21, 2009

Steve Martin... a grace note

As those of you who have been following the Picasso affair already know, Steve Martin wrote a check to fund our stage production of his play Picasso at the Lapin Agile. What you don't know is that when he received a communication from my principal, Doug Potter, informing him that the school district had cut my drama coach stipend by one half when the play was banned, Martin also wrote a check to me for that amount. It came to me without warning, completely out of the blue. Thanks to Doug Potter for advocating for me, though he had already done enough in that department, and thank you to Steve Martin for displaying the kind of grace and goodwill that both surprises us even as it confirms our belief in human nature.

As an aside, Beth and I watched Steve's banjo performance on American Idol last night. I have to say that the musical number he performed was both classy and beautiful.

Grace - you've got it, Steve Martin.
K

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin Cahill said...

Wow, Dad! Congrats on being personally recognized by such a cool famous person. And thank you, Steve Martin, for recognizing how much my Dad does for the arts community in La Grande. You're both classy in my book~ Love, ♥Erin

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great! But the thanks still stand for going above and beyond the call of duty for the kids and community.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home