Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Stupid

I jumped on an inflatable sled last Sunday from the top of a very high place on a very steep slope. I did not see the jump which had been built at the very bottom of what I thought was a large bowl. I hit the jump going backwards and was launched high into the air. I came down squarely on my back, my arms and legs flailing above me. Couldn't breathe for about a minute. A snowboarder who was sitting nearby and watched the whole thing, smiled at me as I lay there, my glasses near his boots, my mouth open waiting for air to flow. "Dude! That was the most air I've seen any catch here...you probably broke two or three vertebrae, huh?" He laughed amiably. I spent the next hour trying to determine whether or not I had really messed up my spine or if it was only ribs and muscles. I settled on ribs and muscles eventually. It only hurt when I breathed, or coughed, or sneezed, or laughed or tried to turn one or the other...in the last twenty four hours I've regained a lot more range of motion and am feeling better finally. Going to the doctor today...sigh. It's alarming how easyily I lapse into stupid and impulsive decisions. I feel like a prospective Darwin award winner.
K

2 Comments:

Blogger Erin Cahill said...

Oh Dad, hope you're feeling better (go to a doctor!) and that your pride is healing too. As for a Darwin award, no way. I'm in a boot up to my knee, on crutches, hobbling around because I got trampled... at trivia. Yeah. So getting old is not for wimps, eh? Feel better soon~ ♥ Erin

7:33 AM  
Blogger jessp said...

It was spectacular to see you suddenly airborne. The landing, not so much. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better.

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home