Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Walking into another world

Tess and I walked to school today. The first of many such walks we'll be taking this year. It turns out that I can squeeze in walking her to school and going to work...I'm so looking forward to this little ritual time with her.























This morning we got out of the house early, even with the difficult dressing up decisions. We chatted in French the whole way to school, talking about how big the high school kids were and how they had cars instead of bikes.























It seemed to sink in on Colm as we went out the door. Last year in France, they left the house together, but this year they'll be on completely different schedules.
Fortunately for Colm he is recently in love with a bow and arrow we made for him out of willow branches at Minam campground over Labor Day weekend. He carries them around everywhere, inside the house and out.
He is still learning the ropes and the rules. Just yesterday in the span of five minutes time he managed to spear (quite literally but quite by accident) Beth's achilles with an ill aimed dart and then whiz an arrow past my head as I entered the dining room.
I took the bow away for the rest of the day and promised to give it back on the condition that he recite faithfully the two rules of bow shooting: never in the house, never at a person. I know that some of you out there would have added a third: never at the cat - but honestly I think two rules was all he could handle in his emotional state (he was sobbing)... This morning when he woke up, I gave him a couple of minutes to shake the cobwebs and then I asked him what the rules for the bow and arrow were. He smiled cheerily, and recited them letter perfect. I gave him back his bow. All is once again right with the world.
K

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Tess is in first grade?! She is all grown up... Wish her good luck in school this year from the Harmon gang.

-jer

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Colm looks so lost there on the porch- I'm presuming that he's watching you and Tess walk to school without him. Please give him hugs for me, and hugs, too, for the rest of you!

6:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad that it looks like you're going to continue posting here. Williams is hard and lots of fun, but I miss the West.
Kirsten

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home