Friday, August 28, 2009

who learns?

I rounded up a few quotes having to do with learning. It's my way of resetting my compass as fall approaches and I resume my work in the classroom.
K
He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.
Aeschylus

I cannot teach anybody anything; I can only make them think.
Socrates

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.
Aristotle

Beware the barrenness of a busy life.
Socrates

The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.
John Powell

Never say, "oops." Always say, "Ah, interesting."
Author Unknown


If you don't make mistakes, you're not working on hard enough problems. And that's a big mistake.
F. Wikzek


Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
Jim Ryun


To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. To not dare is to lose oneself.
Soren Kierkegaard


I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

Yes, risk taking is inherently failure-prone. Otherwise, it would be called sure-thing-taking.
Tim McMahon


My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you'll be happy; if not, you'll become a philosopher.
Socrates

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Wayne Gretzky


Nothing will ever be attempted, if all possible objections must be first overcome. Samuel Johnson, Rasselas, 1759

Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way... you become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions.
Aristotle

Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. What if they are a little course, and you may get your coat soiled or torn? What if you do fail, and get fairly rolled in the dirt once or twice. Up again, you shall never be so afraid of a tumble.
Ralph Waldo Emerson


The second half of a man's life is made up of nothing but the habits he has acquired during the first half.
Feodor Dostoevski

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.
André Gide


Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every conceived notion, follow humbly wherever and whatever abysses nature leads, or you will learn nothing.
Thomas Huxley


The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.
Doug Henning


The most useful piece of learning for the uses of life is to unlearn what is untrue. Antisthenes

You have learned something. That always feels at first as if you had lost something.
H.G. Wells


Men's natures are alike; it is their habits that separate them.
Confucius, Analects


When the student is ready, the master appears.
Buddhist Proverb








2 Comments:

Blogger jessp said...

My favorite of these quotes is: "The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful." In other words, "Fake it 'til you make it."

2:27 AM  
Blogger Erin Cahill said...

Great stuff, Dad! I like the Jim Ryun line. Fear and graduation are my motivators, but hopefully my Geology habits will get me through this Anthropology degree, too.
I also like the balance of the Socrates quote about the barrenness of a busy life- so I'm going camping in the desert with my best friend Jen this weekend. Haha~
Hope you guys have a great weekend. Hugs all around!
Love, ♥Erin

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home