Monday, May 26, 2008

Green and Carefree



















Just got back from a couple of days at Cricket Flats. As you can see, the wild flowers are in full riot right now. Emily and Tess went out for a walk and returned with a couple of nice bouquets for the dinner table.







The on again off again sunshine made for some nice light both at dawn and dusk.









This also turned out to be the weekend that Beth inducted our children (and Meg's children) into the world of Star Wars. There were some tense moments early on but the kids gave themselves over to Beth, and she guided them safely through the saga. Huge success.





The next day we took a long walk through the Fox Place. Watching the kids run through the tall grass in the direction of the old barn with the puppy nipping their heels put me in mind of Dylan Thomas' lovely poem Fern Hill . (click on the link for the complete text)






...All the sun long it was running. the hay
fields high as the house, the tunes from the chimneys, it was air
and playing, lovely and watery,
and fire green as grass....










....Under the new made clouds and happy as the heart was long ,
In the sun born over and over, I ran my heedless ways,...









...my wishes raced through the house high hay,









Oh, as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying,
Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, what a gorgeous post.

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home